UPDATE: Fire in Morgantown that evacuated duplex ruled accidental

MONONGALIA COUNTY, W.Va (WDTV) - UPDATE 3:30 PM
According to Morgantown fire officials, a fire that caused the evacuation of 14 people Monday morning has been ruled accidental.

The fire, located at a duplex rental on 906 Montrose Ave., was first spotted by a fire engine at around 8:30 a.m.

Smoke alarms alerted the residents of the rental to the fire, which investigators believe started inside the wall of a utility room where water lines had been wrapped with electric heat tape.

No one was injured in the fire. The Red Cross was on the scene to help the 14 individuals relocate.

Officials say the fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damages.

UPDATE 10:30 AM

Fourteen people were inside when two units within an apartment caught fire, early Monday morning.

The fire happened on Montrose Avenue around 8:30 am. According to Morgantown Fire officials, all 14 people made it out safely.

Officials believe the fire may have started in basement but they investigation is still ongoing.

The Red Cross was on scene assisting those displaced by the blaze.


ORIGINAL STORY

Authorities responded to the scene of a structure fire in Monongalia County, Monday morning.

According to 911 dispatchers, the fire was called in on Montrose Avenue just after 8:30 am. They were unable to confirm if it was a home or business that caught fire.

No injuries have been reported at this time.

Morgantown Fire Department responded to the scene. EMS officials are also on standby.

Stick with 5 News for the latest.