UPDATE: Clarkburg house fire believed to have started near hot water heater

CLARKSBURG, W.Va (WDTV) - Officials believe that the fire that damaged a Clarksburg home Friday evening was accidental.

According to Clarkburg Fire Chief Rick Scott, the fire is believed to have started near a hot water heater in the home.

It happened at a home on North 25th street in the Adamston area around 8:15 p.m. No one was home at the time.

The fire caused heavy damage to the rear of the home, but it is not being ruled a total loss at this time.

Stick with 5 News for the latest.

EDIT: This story has been edited to correct the area that the home was located to Adamston.