National News | Closings | Funerals | HighScore | Monday's Most Wanted | Crime Watch | TV Listings | Lottery | Bio's | FCC File | More ›
 
 
   
 
Avoid Holiday Tragedy: Make Sure Toys Are Safe
Written by Whitney Wetzel
Last updated on December 26, 2012 @ 7:02PM
Created on December 26, 2012 @ 5:15PM
 
Now that another Christmas has come and gone, children are probably busy playing with all of their new toys that Santa brought them. But sometimes the newest and coolest toys aren't always the safest. While most parents are rushing around to find the best Christmas presents for their little boy or girl, safety may not always be at the top of their list.

Kids choking on small toy parts is usually the biggest risk that some toys can bring, but it's not the only one. Parents also need to beware of poisons that some toys may contain. Toys that are made out of lead, like costume jewelry, crafting kits, and crayons can sometimes contain the poisonous element.
 
Other toys like musical books and remote controls may use small button batteries, which can cause serious injury or even death if they're swallowed. That's because it can pinch off sections of the esophagus, stomach, or intestines, which can lead to blockages or infections. Avoid getting toys that contain those items if you're child is still very young.
 
Poison control officials said another way to prevent that from happening is to make sure those items that contain button batteries are in compartments that can only be opened by using a screw driver. But if your kid would accidentally swallow something like that, make sure you call the WV Poison Control Center immediately at 1-800-222-1222.

Share
Add your Comment
You must have an active WDTV.COM user account to post comments. Please login to your account, or create your free account today!

Comments (0)
WDTV on Facebook
WDTV on Twitter
WDTV on YouTube
Contact WDTV
WDTV RSS Feeds
WDTV SMS
WDTV Mobile App