Written by Whitney Wetzel
Last updated on April 22, 2013 @ 7:11PM
Created on April 22, 2013 @ 6:23PM
About a year ago, a new fad called the 'cinnamon challenge' went viral on the internet and it still has many attempting to beat the challenge. But, a new study shows trying the stunt can result in lung damage, among other things.
Videos of people attempting this stunt were all over YouTube and went viral last year. Coughing, choking, and burning of the mouth, nose and throat are just a few temporary side effects. A new report shows attempting to swallow the spice could result in long-lasting lesions and scarring of the airway, or even lung damage.
The study says at least 30 cases stemming from the challenge required some type of medical attention. Some teens even suffered collapsed lungs. The American Association of Poison Control Centers issued an alert last year about the dare and reported more than 200 cinnamon-related incidents. So far this year, 20 exposures have been reported.
You must have an active WDTV.COM user account to post comments. Please login
to your account, or create
your free account today!