FIRST ON 5 NEWS UPDATE: Barbour County Man Released from Hospital After Garage Explosion
Written by Your 5News Team
Last updated on November 26, 2012 @ 6:47PM
Created on November 26, 2012 @ 1:01PM
Officials at Davis Memorial Hospital said a man who was burned after several propane tanks exploded in his garage on Sunday was treated and released.
Firefighters said Bob Swecker and his son tried to get items out of their garage that was on fire.
Swecker was taken to Davis after being burned.
ORIGINAL STORY 11/25/12:
A Barbour County man and his son were taken to the hospital Sunday morning, after several propane tanks exploded inside of their garage that was full of farming equipment.
It all started before 10:00 a.m. in a garage on Weaver Road in Weaver. According to Junior's Fire Chief Greg Peek, the owner's son turned on a heating stove inside the garage to warm it up, so he could work on some of the equipment. He went back into the house to watch some TV for a short time, but when he came back to the garage, it was on fire.
Chief Greg Peek said the father saw the flames from his house. He, and his son, ran into the garage to try and get some items out before they caught on fire. During that time, several propane tanks and oil cans inside the garage exploded, which only strengthened the blaze.
Firefighters said the owner, a man approximately in his 60's, was taken to Davis Memorial Hospital to be treated for burns to his hands and face. The son was also taken to the hospital for a cut.
The fire took more than an hour for firefighters to get under control. All of the cars inside and outside of the garage were destroyed, as well as the garage itself. A dune buggy and a tractor were also destroyed in the blaze. The home, however, was not damaged.
Add your CommentYou must have an active WDTV.COM user account to post comments. Please login to your account, or create your free account today!