304 SPORTS SCORES
  • Saint Marys 47Ritchie County 0Final[ view all ]
  • Braxton County 13Lincoln 6Final[ view all ]
  • Bridgeport 38Buckhannon-Upshur 7Final[ view all ]
  • Elkins 50North Marion 20Final[ view all ]
  • Doddridge County 27South Harrison 234th Qtr.[ view all ]
  • Liberty 22East Fairmont 8Final[ view all ]
  • Morgantown 41Anacostia-DC 0Final[ view all ]
  • Lewis County 42Oak Hill 7Final[ view all ]
  • Williamstown 20Tyler Consolidated 73rd Qtr.[ view all ]
  • University 21John Marshall 12Final[ view all ]
  • Robert C. Byrd 28Fairmont Senior 73rd Qtr.[ view all ]
  • Grafton 33Philip Barbour 133rd Qtr.[ view all ]
  • Hampshire 13Preston 63rd Qtr.[ view all ]
  • Pocahontas County 13Tucker County 03rd Qtr.[ view all ]
  • Calhoun County 14Gilmer County 83rd Qtr.[ view all ]
  • Clay-Battelle 21Paden City 01st Qtr.[ view all ]
  • Notre Dame 0Wheeling Central Catholic 0Sat.[ view all ]
  • Bridgeport-OH 0Valley Wetzel 0Fri.[ view all ]
  • Tygarts Valley 0Pendleton County 0Fri.[ view all ]
National News | Closings | Funerals | HighScore | Monday's Most Wanted | Crime Watch | TV Lisitngs | Lottery | Bio's | FCC File | More ›
   
 
 
 
Harrison BOE Paying for Well to be Plugged Near New Middle School
Written by Nicole Porter
Last updated on October 29, 2013 @ 11:23PM
Created on October 29, 2013 @ 11:00PM

The Harrison County Board of Education took steps on Tuesday night to make sure students are safe at the new Lumberport Middle School, by funding the costs of a nearby well to be plugged.

"It was never a problem as long as the high school was there because it was probably grandfathered in before this School Building Authority even existed. So now that the School Building Authority is there, we're building something new, you have to play by their rules," said Superintendent Susan Collins.

During an emergency meeting, the board voted four to one to pay $172,000 to the Lorna Howard Gas Account LLC, the owner of the well. This well is about 200 feet away from where the new school will be. According to an agreement, the owners will chose a company to plug that well.

"We want to be safe, rather than sorry. Even though it's 200 feet away, it could still have gas leak into the school and make our students and staff sick," said Harrison County Board of Education President Michael Queen.

The school board will pay 75% will be paid up front and the other 25% will be paid after the well is plugged. The board will not own the well but it does own the land.

The new Lumberport Middle School is set to be completed by January 2015. 


Share
Add your Comment
You must have an active WDTV.COM user account to post comments. Please login to your account, or create your free account today!

Comments (0)
WDTV on Facebook
WDTV on Twitter
WDTV on YouTube
Contact WDTV
WDTV RSS Feeds
WDTV SMS
WDTV Mobile App