Regularly Checking Carbon Monoxide Detectors Could Save Your Life
Written by Your 5News Team
Last updated on November 06, 2013 @ 9:02AM
Created on November 03, 2013 @ 5:54PM
Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that's known as a silent killer.
Emergency officials claim everyone is vulnerable to being exposed to it, but there are things people can do to stay safe.
Firefighters recommend checking Carbon monoxide detectors at least once month.
There have been issues with carbon monoxide recently all across the Mountain State. Officials are saying this is a common time of year for people to be exposed to it because of heating systems or generators that malfunction.
Carbon monoxide is odorless.and that's why you need to make sure detectors are working properly. According to the U.S. Product Safety Commission, about 170 people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Some of the symptoms people may experience include nausea, dizziness, vomiting and confusion.
Firefighters believe people should change the batteries in detectors every six months in order to stay safe.
Morgantown Fire Department Chief Mark Caravasos said, "Just like your smoke detector your carbon monoxide detectors are smelling for something that can potentially harm you or your family. It's important to make sure that safety equipment is working and it's very easy for us consumers to do so."
Here are some tips from the U.S. Product Safety Commission which may help keep you safe.
Add your CommentYou must have an active WDTV.COM user account to post comments. Please login to your account, or create your free account today!