Written by Nicole Porter
Last updated on December 28, 2012 @ 6:52PM
Created on December 28, 2012 @ 6:11PM
A lot of people have smoke detectors in their homes to make them aware of a fire. some of you also have carbon monoxide detectors to alert you to that colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly. There's another gas that can seep into your home that can be affecting your family's health.
January is radon awareness month. Radon, like carbon monoxide, is a colorless, odorless gas. That means you can't see, smell or taste it, but exposure to it is one of the leading causes of lung cancer in the United States.
Radon can be found all over the country. It generally originates in the soil then can leak into your home through cracks or openings. Elevated levels of radon are generally found on the lower levels of homes and hot spots are basements, first floor rooms and garages. The truth is that it can be found anywhere in your home.
Levels of the gas can change from house to house and just because your neighbors house is safe, doesn't mean that yours is.
The problem with radon is that it causes more than 20,000 lung cancer deaths every year in our country alone. Exposure to this gas is the second leading cause of lung cancer and it's the number one cause among non smokers.
You can buy radon test kits at your local hardware store. Most cost less than $25. Experts say you should test your house for radon once every five years.
You must have an active WDTV.COM user account to post comments. Please login
to your account, or create
your free account today!