NOW PLAYING: 5 News Daybreak 5:30 AM - 7:00 AMWATCH NOW!
Sparklers a Concern for Child Burns
Written by Lindsey Watson
Last updated on July 04, 2013 @ 7:35PM
Created on July 04, 2013 @ 6:03PM

The Fourth of July combines a couple things that symbolize the celebration of  America's birthday.

As we take the time to be patriotic, many of you will be taking part in barbecues and fireworks.

These activities may be an important part of every summer. But,they also account for burn injuries to children every year. Fortunately for kids, they are usually only minor burns on their hands, fingers, or arms.

These are mostly due to the use of sparklers. Doctors say they are relatively safe. However, they can still burn very hot. This is a cause for concern because children have very sensitive skin.

"Most burns are treated very well at home. If it continues to burn, it it blisters, we would recommend you seek medical care either in urgent care, or your local doctor's office, or here at here at the (United Hospital Center) Emergency Department." Christopher Goode, UHC Emergency Dept. Medical Director

If your child does get a burn, officials say the best thing to do is wash it off with a mild soap, and treat it with an antibiotic.

Parents should keep an eye on it for possible infections, because that could lead to a trip to the emergency room.


Share
Add your Comment
You must have an active WDTV.COM user account to post comments. Please login to your account, or create your free account today!

Comments (1)
Jul 05, 2013 at 10:23 AM
If sparklers are dangerous then they need to be illegal and banned from selling them to the public.