Earlier this week 5 News told you about a man who had to jump out of a window of his Preston County home while it was on fire. Friday he shared his story with us.
"It came raging at me," Bahaa Ayoubi, or as his friends call him "Bob", said about the fire that destroyed his home on Hiorra Road. "It came right between my legs and behind my back. It swept the whole floor."
He told 5 News that the fire started when he tried to build a fire in the fireplace.
"I started to hear a roaring fire," Ayoubi said. "It sounded like a freight train raging."
Then he laid, almost paralyzed, on the floor. Parts of his back, head, and arms were all on fire. As his home continued to burn to the ground around him.
"My arms, both of my arms, were on fire," Ayoubi said. "It was so hot I felt the blood boiling inside me."
He could tell the front door was fully engulfed in flames. That meant he could only get out of the house through a window in his kitchen, which was in the next room.
"I got up and I ran through that window," Ayoubi said pointing to the window. "I don't know how I got through."
When he got outside he heard the sound of his house exploding behind him.
"Then I heard the windows blowing up like bombs," Ayoubi said. "Boom, boom, boom, they went off like bombs."
A passerby played the role of a hero by moving Bob's car to prevent another explosion. That same man also called 9-1-1.
Firefighters couldn't save Ayoubi's house. He told 5 News it's just a miracle he's still alive.
Besides a charred mattress there's not much that remains expect a pile of ashes. All he has left if a few scars on his arms that tell his story of survival.
"I'm very, very lucky," Ayoubi said.
Ayoubi's church is trying to help him out since he lost everything.
Donations are being taken at the Ebenezer Baptist Church. The address for the church is 7243 Independence Road, Independence WV, 26734. Their phone number is (304) 864-0523.
You must have an active WDTV.COM user account to post comments. Please