NOW PLAYING: 5 News Daybreak 5:30 AM - 7:00 AMWATCH NOW!
National News | Closings | Funerals | HighScore | Monday's Most Wanted | Crime Watch | TV Lisitngs | Lottery | Bio's | FCC File | More ›
   
 
 
 
East Park Elementary School to Resume Class on Wednesday
Written by Whitney Wetzel
Last updated on February 26, 2013 @ 8:35PM
Created on February 26, 2013 @ 6:22PM
 
On Friday, 5 News reported that a positive carbon monoxide reading in one Marion County school kept students home. Tuesday, those furnace problems at East Park Elementary School continued. However, the school will reopen on Wednesday.

Superintendent Gary Price said the heating problems in the school's main building have been fixed, but not in a separate older building. Price said these problems started last week with two different furnaces: one in the newer part of the building and one in an older part.
 
The furnace in the new section has been fixed, after a defective piece had to be replaced. Gas and fire officials determined Tuesday that furnace is safe to operate.
 
However, the furnace in an older section of the building, which connects to the new section through a hallway, is going to remain off. Price said they're getting ready to install lining in the chimney, so until that happens, they're not going to fire up that furnace. Because of that, the older section of the school will remain closed, since it's too cold for students to be in. But as far as the main building goes, Price said it is safe for students to resume classes.
 
"Parents always have to make that decision whether or not they feel it's a good idea to send their children to school, but we would not be reopening for business, even in a portion of the building, if we did not feel that it was safe to operate. We're asking our staff to go in there, we're asking the students to go in there, and we would not do that [if it wasn't safe], we would keep the school closed if we felt that there was any reason that it was not safe," said Gary Price, Superintendent of Marion County Schools.
 
Last week, carbon monoxide tests only showed up positive in the furnace room, not in any of the classrooms. But there was a strong odor that some said smelled like paint or varnish throughout most of the school, so that's why they canceled school originally.

Share
Add your Comment
You must have an active WDTV.COM user account to post comments. Please login to your account, or create your free account today!

Comments (0)
WVFX FOX10 on Facebook
WVFX FOX10 on Twitter
WDTV on YouTube
Contact WDTV
WDTV RSS Feeds
WDTV SMS
WDTV Mobile App