Neighbor Rescues Woman from Burning Fairmont Home
Written by Your 5News Team
Last updated on March 27, 2013 @ 6:50PM
Created on March 27, 2013 @ 5:52PM
A fire at a home in Marion County sent one woman to the hospital Wednesday afternoon and kept every fire volunteer fire department throughout the county busy for a couple of hours. Officials on scene said the woman who was inside the home when the fire broke out was saved by a neighbor who was passing by.
The fire all started at a home on Brierwood Lane, which is just outside of White Hall, a little before 1:00 p.m.
Todd Farrell said he was leaving the neighborhood with his daughter, when they both noticed smoke coming from the house. Farrell is a respiratory therapist, so his immediate reaction was to try and make sure there wasn't anyone inside of the home.
He explained to 5 News that he entered the back part of the house and that's where he found a woman lying about seven feet inside of the home. Farrell picked up the woman, took her in the backyard and immediately started CPR until other professionals got to the scene. He said he just happened to be the right guy there at the right time.
"My daughter and I were leaving the neighborhood, when my daughter noticed smoke coming from the house. I responded and found a lady lying a few feet inside the house. So, I got her outside. We started CPR. She responded. Professionals showed up and from what I understand, she's gone to Allegheny now. So, [I was at the] right place at the right time, without a doubt," said Todd Farrell.
Again, that woman was flown to a hospital, but there's no word on her condition at this time. Officers on scene said she has smoke inhalation and second degree burns to her chest and shoulder area.
Firefighters said they sure how the fire started, but the home is a total loss.