Parents Still Concerned About Belington Elementary School Safety
Written by Phyllis Smith
Last updated on January 17, 2014 @ 7:05PM
Created on January 17, 2014 @ 5:34PM
Belington Elementary School was shut down Wednesday due to a suspicious odor. Some parents told 5 News that they're still hesitant to send their kids back.
Parents we spoke with Friday were concerned about the school using space heaters to heat the school. Superintendent Joe Super said they're completely safe.
He said the school's heating unit on the left side has been shut down as a precaution to narrow down where the source of the smell came from. The space heaters being used are approved by the State Fire Marshal.
Super said since there's no unusual methane reading levels, there's no chance of them exploding. Parents were also worried about their children getting sick.
He said as far as he knows, students that didn't feel well Wednesday are back to normal. One teacher did faint on Wednesday, but Super said he spoke with her and that she's doing fine now. Parents called with all sorts of different feelings about this.
"I only found out about this through social media. What if my son had come home with a headache? How would I have know that might have been the cause?" said one parent, who wished to remain anonymous.
"What I don't understand is why they would open the school back up if they weren't 100% sure what the cause of the smell is," said another parent who wished to remain anonymous.
Super said they're doing everything they can to make sure the school stays safe. Since the meter readings are at their normal levels, he said it's safe for school to continue.