Solutions 4 Financial Independence: 05/25/17

By  | 

BRIDGEPORT, W.Va (WDTV) - Question: "My husband is 69 and currently gets $2,000 a month from social security. Mine is projected to be around $500 starting next year. Would I be eligible to get any of his?"

Answer: (John Halterman, Beacon Wealth Management) "Those are called spousal benefits and yes you are eligible. What happens is if your spouse has $2,000 a month you're actually eligible to claim half of his benefits.

"In this case if your benefits are only going to be $500 and half of his would be $1,000, then you would better off claiming his spousal benefits than taking your own.

"A couple stipulations is that your husband has already had to have been taking social security, which it sounds like he already is. And then the second thing is you must be at least age 62.

"Definitely in your case take the spousal benefit because it's going to be a higher benefit on a monthly basis to your family."