UPDATE: Preston County teen dies in house fire

By  | 

PRESTON COUNTY, W.Va (WDTV) -- UPDATE 03/27/2020 @ 1:08 p.m.
A 13-year-old boy died in a house fire in Albright Thursday.

According to a news release from the West Virginia State Fire Marshal, the Albright Volunteer Fire Department responded around 6 a.m. to the fire, and was told that the teen was still in the home. After starting rescue and fire suppression efforts, the teen's body was found in a second-floor near a window.

Other family members in the home were able to escape, the news release states.

One family member received burns to her arms and another suffered burns, as well as a broken back, according to the State Fire Marshal's office. Both were taken to the West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh. Two more family members escaped without any serious injuries.

West Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office investigators responded to the scene. They ruled the cause of the fire as accidental.

Investigators say they found that the fire started in a first-floor room with an overloaded electrical cord that was determined to be the cause. Multiple devices plugged into this single cord, which was supplying electricity for the entire house.

The Fire Marshal's office said the house did not have any smoke alarms.

One person is dead and two others were taken to the hospital after an early morning fire in Preston County Thursday, according to Deputy State Fire Marshal Jason Baltic.

The fire happened shortly after 6 a.m., according to Albright firefighters.

They say they were called to a fire with a child trapped in the second story of a home. Flames were coming through the roof when they arrived.

Two other people had minor injuries, Baltic said.

The State Fire Marshal is expected to release more information Friday morning.