Solutions 4 Financial Independence: 8/22/17

By  | 

BRIDGEPORT, W.Va (WDTV)- Question: My dad recently passed away. He had a Roth IRA as well as a 401(k). As a non-spouse beneficiary, can I roll over the accounts into my personal Roth IRA and 401(k) accounts?

Answer (John Halterman, Beacon Wealth Management): "Let's start with, can you roll the money over into your personal account? That answer is actually no. Only spouses can roll over a Roth IRA into their own Roth IRA and a 401(k) can be rolled over into your own Ira. But in this type of situation since you are not a spouse, what do you need to do is what we call an inherited Roth IRA or an inherited IRA. So both of those can be rolled over into an account, it's going to be in your name, just not going to be in your personal Roth IRA and 401(k)."

Q: How with the taxes affect me?

Answer (John Halterman, Beacon Wealth Management): "The Roth IRA, because it's a Roth IRA, it's actually going to be tax-free in the future to him. When you rollover money into an inherited, you do have to take what we call the required minimum distribution. But in the Roth portion, because of the tax for account there will be no taxes. Now for the 401(k), because it's going into an inherited IRA, and you have to take required minimum distributions, those will be taxed as ordinary income. One's tax-free and one's going to be taxed."