UPDATE: Fire at Fort Salem Cabin caused by a spark that fell between floorboards

A structure fire was reported at Fort New Salem
By  | 

HARRISON COUNTY, W. Va. (WDTV) - UPDATE 09/19/19 @ 12:25 p.m.
The cause of the fire at the Waldo Run Cabin in historic Fort New Salem Monday evening has been determined.

According to the chair person for the Fort New Salem Foundation Dr. Joseph Audia, the cause was due to maintenance being done on the cabin.

Audia says a spark fell between the floorboards and smoldered until the fire begin.

A community member driving by saw the smoke and called the fire department, according to Audia. Crews were able to respond quickly and saved the building and everything inside.

Audia says the floor boards, supports and a log will need to be replaced. Work on the building will be taken care of in the next one to two weeks.

Fort Salem is open to visitors, but the cabin itself will be closed off until repairs can be made, Audia said. The cabin is expected to be closed during the upcoming Apple Butter Weekend.



ORIGINAL STORY
According to 911 officials, the Waldo Run Cabin caught fire in historic Fort New Salem on Settlers Lane, in Salem, West Virginia, Monday evening.

The call came in approximately 6:57 p.m. There were no reported injuries.

The Salem Fire Department and Nutter Fort Fire Department responded.

The cabin dates back to the 1870's and includes a sleeping loft and fireplace.

The cabin's reconstruction and relocation began in 2013 with the Fort New Salem Foundation and generous donations to keep it alive as it holds much historic and educational value from the Nineteenth Century.

Stick with 5 news for any updates.