Fairmont woman works to take care of feral cats

FAIRMONT, W.Va (WDTV) - Some of you took to social media in the last couple of days wondering about two animal crates near Palatine Park in Fairmont.

Some worried about whether or not animals were inside and if there were, was anyone taking care of them.

5 News investigated this, and found out one woman from Fairmont stops by every single day.

"It's really hard to move feral cats," said Terry Buretz, who feeds these cats every day. "It was fairly easy just moving them right over the bank where they're located now. They've been down there for about three years."

For the most part, they stay near Palatine Park in Fairmont.

"I consider them mine, now, entirely my responsibility," she said. "As much as I'd love to take them to my home and set them up like my animals are in my house, they're really not house pets."

She makes it a part of her daily routine.

"I go every morning," she said. "365 days a year, I've missed very few days. It's a wonderful way for me to start my day. They come running when they see my car pull in."

"I don't even know if they're boys or girls," Buretz said. "They were already fixed when I got involved. Their ears are clipped off at the top which is evident to everybody that know anything about cats, that the cat has been fixed. He'll let me pet him, or she'll will while they're eating. The other one, the tabby one, will swipe at me if I even reach my hand out."

Buretz says whether they're pets or strays, they deserve to be taken care of.

"They deserve to be taken care of," she said. "I wipe their bowls out every morning. I treat them like pets. They may not be typical pets, but they need somebody to care for them and I'm happy to do that."

Why does she spend so much time taking care of these cats? Throughout her life, Buretz has been a giving person.

"I had always taken care of people," Buretz said. "I had my in-laws, my husband's parents, his aunt, and then my parents got sick, and so people were always my thing. Then when my parents passed away, I was at a loose end. Pet rescue came up, and I rescued two little Chihuahuas and I was sucked in, probably for life."