Manhunt for PA fugitives ends in Marion County

By  | 

WHITE HALL, W.Va. (WDTV) -- The White Hall Police Department is only about a three-minute drive from the local Walmart.

Patrolman Glen Staley happened to be nearby the store Friday night - not for the typical shoplifting call - but for wanted Pennsylvania fugitives.

North of Pittsburgh in Middlesex Township-Butler County, a man told Police his daughter and 20-year-old Tyler Lambing took off in his car, stealing multiple guns and other items.

Local police tracked their cell phones heading South on I-79, but they had a five hour lead on authorities. Middlesex police compared it to a Bonnie and Clyde situation.

The two contacted a family member, police said, asking to wire them money to that White Hall Walmart.

Police said they found the underage girl still in the parking lot in the truck she allegedly stole from her dad. They also recovered both guns, jewelry, marijuana and some pills from the car, according to Staley.

They believe Lambing was still inside the shopping center when they arrived.

“We believe he observed my takedown of the female and that's when he ran,” Staley said.

They searched the area, but couldn’t find Lambing. They say it’s possible he was hiding under a car in the parking lot.

“I know we were in the area and close to this boy constantly," Staley said. "He wasn't going to get away from us. It was just a matter of finding him."

The next day, police arrested Lambing at a McDonald’s in Fairmont.

He’s in the North Central Regional Jail awaiting extradition back to Pennsylvania.

Glenn says the girl is at a detention facility in Ohio. Middlesex police said they are charging her in the theft of the car.

Lambing faces several charges, including corruption of a minor. He was also wanted out of Pennsylvania for a parole violation.

Middlesex Police Officer Conrad Pfifer praised the efforts of West Virginia law enforcement.

"They were instrumental," Pfifer said. "I have nothing but praise for those officers. They had their hands full."

Staley said the agencies were communicating updates in real-time. Lambing was on the phone with one of his family members, Staley said, who was relaying information to police without Lambing's knowledge.

“It was teamwork with the PA officers," Staley said. "They're a great bunch of guys. We've never met them, but on the phone, they were a great bunch."