UPDATE: West Virginia National Guardsman killed identified, was serving in Kingwood

The West Virginia National Guardsman killed has been identified as Sgt. 1st Class Nicholas Sheperty.

Sheperty, 36, suffered fatal injuries while performing an airborne exercise in Suffolk, Virginia. Sheperty was serving with the 2nd Battalion, 19th Special Forces Group (Airborne), Kingwood, W.Va. at the time.

Sheperty was a member of the elite Green Berets and served as a Senior Weapons Sergeant with the 2/19th SFG (Airborne). Before joining the WVNG in 2010, he served with the Marine Corps Special Operations Command.

Since joining the military in 2002, Sheperty served multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. He was awarded multiple honors, including a Bronze Star Medal, Purple Heart, Navy/Marine Corps Combat Action Ribbon, and NATO medal.

"On behalf of the men and women of the West Virginia National Guard, I extend my deepest condolences to Nick's family, friends and those who served with him. The loss of such an exceptional Soldier and true West Virginia hero will be felt throughout our entire organization," said Maj. Gen. James Hoyer, the Adjutant General of the West Virginia National Guard. "It's my hope that people understand, each and every day, there are men and women in the armed forces who are conducting both operations and training in support of the defense of our Nation in a dangerous environment. Not enough people are paying attention while our Soldiers, Airmen, Marines and Sailors are putting their lives on the line for the cause of freedom. Let us never forget the life and legacy of Sgt. 1st Class Nick Sheperty, the sacrifice he made or the sacrifice his family will endure from this tragic incident."

Sheperty was a native Virginian and also resided in Baltimore.

The investigation into his death is still ongoing.

ORIGINAL STORY 4/18/19 10:00 AM
A West Virginia National Guardsman has died in military parachute training exercise at the Suffolk Executive Airport in Virginia.

The West Virginia National Guard issued a release about the Wednesday death that said a related press conference is scheduled for Thursday.

Suffolk police and first responders say they received a call about the injured parachutist Wednesday afternoon. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Authorities said the release of the man's identity was pending notification of his next of kin.